- Weight: 100 grams
- Recommended for: vegetables, fish, mutton, tomato soup and much more
- Traditional spice mix from kashmir which is made into tikkis or cakes.
- Can be used throughout the year by breaking off small portions of the tikki.
- This version of Ver does not contain garlic. However, garlic paste may be added to preparations if desired.
- Ver masala can be added to preparations as simple as dry green vegetables, dals and even complex ones like Rogan Josh
- Shelf life of 6 months. Keep in a cool and dry place
Ver Masala is a traditional Kashmiri masala which is made into tikkis or cakes by adding heeng (asaphoetida) dissolved in water. It is used throughout the year by breaking off small portions of the masala tikki. Ver is simple, yet very aromatic, and is usually added towards the end of cooking to enhance the flavour, with fennel seeds (saunf), black cumin seeds (shah jeera) and black cardamom (badi elaichi) being quite prominent. These ingredients add incredible aroma to any dish you may be cooking. This version of Ver does not contain onion or garlic. However, you may add onion and garlic paste to the preparations as required. Ver forms and important part of Kashmiri wedding food preparations and also some rituals. It can be added to a variety of dishes to give them an authentic Kashmiri flavour.
How to use Ver Masala like a local:
1. Ver Masala is traditionally used to make a rice pudding during weddings or Kashmiri fish curry called Kaasher Gaad
2. Being very versatile, it can also be added to preparations as simple as dry green vegetables, dals and even complex ones like Rogan Josh
3. Break off Ver and sprinkle over dish towards end of cooking (approx. 1 tsp. for 500g of preparation). Quantity may be varied as per preference
4. Alternatively, Ver can be mixed in about 1 tbsp of water and then added to the dish
5. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes to allow flavours to be incorporated
6. It is also used in a variety of Kashmiri recipes, typically added towards the end of cooking